We didn't have much of a Summer this year but you can't blame us for trying! Bottomless drinks with friends, long days in the pool, outdoor sports, festivals, bbq's and everything in between takes it's toll on our skin causing us to look tired, dehydrated, freckled and fried. So what're we to do? We're certainly not going to sacrifice a day at the beach in the name of beauty. Life's too short for that so like most Summer-loving Chicagoans, we have our fun and worry about it tomorrow. Ok so it's tomorrow...now what? You promise yourself your going to drink more water, sit in the shade the next time, and slow down on the brats but in the famous words of Dr. Rumack (Airplane, 1980), "That's not important right now!" Because you need to look good right now! Well fortunately, as a professional makeup artist, I have a few tricks up my sleeve that I'm going to share with you right now so that you can be prepared for where the fun takes you and still look your best. This is what I know for sure:
1. Ice reduces puffiness. Chamomile tightens. Make chamomile tea, let steep for as long as possible, then pour into an ice tray and freeze. Once frozen, wrap a wet napkin or paper towel around the ice cube and apply to inflamed areas, such as the eyes, to instantly reduce puffiness.
2. Caffeine tightens. Look for neck, face, and eye creams that contain caffeine. Better yet, look for the ingredient MATRIXYL 3000, an effective peptide that creates a Spanx-like effect on the skin but also "stimulates collagen synthesis and skin repair" for long-lasting benefits. My favorite product that contains these ingredients and more is Luxurious Lathers Edens-Bliss .
3. Oxygen brightens. When you oxygenate blood, it instantly turns bright red, and since we have a constant supply of blood flowing to the skin, feeding that source will in turn brighten it. One of my favorite products is Peter Thomas Roth Brightening Bubbling Mask to make you look refreshed.
4. BB Creams do wonders and save time. Essentially a foundation and moisturizer in one, Beauty Balms or BB Creams as they are most commonly known, can rapidly speed up the transformation process by evening out the skin tone and plumping the texture in one fell swoop. They are great for people who don't like the look of foundation but they are also a brilliant first step for those who want to build coverage. Why do all of the work on the back end when you can get the process started from the jump. Bobbi Brown BB Cream SPF35 has the largest selection of colors. For even sheerer coverage, mist rosewater such as Jurlique Rosewater Balancing Mist on your face beforehand.
5. Lines transform the face. As in eyeliner and brows. Visually from a distance, the features that dictate the face, are the ones that are the most prominent. So if you want to instantly awaken a tired face, fill in the brows, concentrating on the top of the arches to magically lift the eyes like two invisible clothespins. Add eyeliner to the top and bottom lashline to create a "V" on the outer corner. The points should start at the top of the pupil and end underneath the pupil. Add at least two coats of mascara to the top lashes to "pop" the eyes and distract from whatever else is going on. Bottom mascara is optional.
6. Go for the glow. Adding warmth to the face is always an instant pick-me-up. Sweep SHEER apricot, gold, copper, or pink bronzer (depending upon your skin tone) such as the classic Guerlain Terracotta Light Bronzing Powder to your cheeks, forehead, chin, nose, and eyelids using a medium to large fluffy brush for added diffusion. Giorgio Armani Beauty makes a gorgeous fluid sheer highlighter to add to your skincare or foundation to create a subtle glowing effect. With caution, you can use both liquid highlighter and bronzer BUT between the 2, make sure to add a thin veil of no color dusting power such as the incomparable BY TERRY Hyalauronic Hydra-Powder. It's pricey but the results are worth it! (Thanks Johhny Dosse for the introduction!)
7. Lollipops! Don't be a sucker and fall for the on-trend matte nude lip if you are trying to look alive. Take inspiration from lollipops and add a little pop to your pucker in the form of cherry, tangerine, or raspberry lip color. The texture can be sheer, such as Clinique Chubby Stick, if your aren't feeling so bold but color on the cheeks and lips will instantly make you look like you took a quick jog around the spa.
Now that you're equipped with some face-saving tools, go out and live life to the fullest!